Q&A: How can we make it maritime?

The Neighbhourhood Plan website has a FAQ section with questions and answers but there doesn’t seem to be any feedback facility, so we are re-posting some of the questions here – discussions welcome.

Title: How can it be ensured that maritime uses are provided around the creek?
Date Posted: 27 06 2013
Within any Plan for the Creek, it may be considered desirable to specify what types of commercial uses are wanted on the identified sites. These could include boat repair workshops, workshops for marine trades such as blockmakers, sailmakers and shipwrights and what types of shops or cafes are wanted e.g. not national chains, and what the ownership of businesses should be e.g. ethical owners. However, the Use Classes set out in the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987, especially as amended by the most recent Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order, does not allow differentiation of this kind in allocation of uses in a Plan. Class B1 (a) includes offices and now larger units up to 500 square metres can change to Class B8 (storage) or B2 (general industry) without planning permission. Class B1 (a) can also change to residential without planning permission or to a state funded school. Class B1(c) includes workshops and light industrial, but these can now change to B2 or B8. Workshops making pottery, sofas, wood turners or general welders working on marine and non-marine items are in the same use category as any of the marine trades referred to above.

Retail shops within Class A1 include any retail-style use such as ticket agencies, sandwich bars, post offices and hairdressers as well as any retail use such as craft shops, food shops or specialist shops. There is no differentiation between ownership, whether by a national chain or any individual local trader. The same applies to cafes and restaurants; no differentiation for the type of restaurant or the ownership.

Shops, buildings in use for financial and professional services, restaurants, pubs and takeaways and properties in Class B1business use can also change to any of the uses among shops, financial and professional services and the restaurant use class without planning permission unless they are listed buildings. This change can be in both directions e.g. A1 to A2 or A2 to A1. It would not usually be considered reasonable in planning terms to add conditions or require legal agreements on any planning permission that a property had to stay in a business use for a set period of time.


2 thoughts on “Q&A: How can we make it maritime?

  1. Debbie Lawther

    What about a reply that summarised the planning law details (which put some of us to sleep…), saying ‘there is no formal way to ensure maritime use of Creekside property, so the way that will be accomplished is…..’

    1. Hilary Whelan

      I agree, Debbie. This needs a can-do attitude – focus on the objectives, not the obstacles. Get a clear vision of what we want to achieve, then work out ways of using the planning laws to make it possible. This is what developers do!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s